Team Preview | CWG 2022 | Team India
Written By: Ritwika Dhar
Picture Courtesy: Cricket Queens
SCHEDULE – INDIA (GROUP A)
- Vs Australia, at 4:30 pm, on Friday, July 29
- Vs Pakistan, at 4:30 pm, on Sunday, July 31
- Vs Barbados, at 11:30 pm, on Wednesday, August 3
(All timings in IST)
- Vs Australia: Won – 6, Lost – 16, NR – 1
- Vs Pakistan: Won – 9, Lost – 2, NR – 0
- Vs West Indies (for Barbados): Won – 10, Lost – 8, NR – 0
- Won the recently concluded ODI and T20I bilateral series against Sri Lanka by 3-0 and 2-1 respectively
- Had a big domestic T20 season comprising of Senior T20 Trophy and Women’s T20 Challenge
SQUAD FOR THE CWG
KEY TALKING POINTS
Compact top order – Mandhana and Verma’s opening duo, solid #3 & middle-order batters, S. Meghana, Kaur and Rodrigues, and Vastrakar, Deepti, Sneh, and Yastika in the lower order make an impeccable batting line-up on paper. If all these batters perform up to their reputation, India’s chance at the podium finish is confirmed.
Captain leading from the front – Captain Harmanpreet Kaur’s fortunes turned pretty quickly. From doubts being raised over her effectiveness, she turned it around in the World Cup to silence the critics. She also led her team to a win in the Women's T20 Challenge.
Rustiness in the fielding – India's biggest challenge lies in the form of ground fielding. Their sloppy fielding has been a constant problem since last year.
Less variety in bowling and inexperienced pace attack – With the exclusion of crafty leg-spinner Poonam Yadav and a very good wicket-to-wicket pacer Simran Dil Bahadur from the main squad, the bowling lacks variety. Meghna Singh, who is yet to make her debut in the T20Is, and Renuka Singh, who is still not up to the mark, the onus of taking wickets will be more on Vastrakar and Gayakwad.
Lack of finishers – As India kept Richa Ghosh and Bahadur out of the main squad, India's finishing options only come down to Vastrakar. Sneh Rana can be another option but India tends to prioritize Deepti over Sneh due to more effectiveness of her bowling.
LIKELY STARTING XI: Smriti Mandhana, Shafali Verma, S. Meghana, Harmanpreet Kaur (c), Jemimah Rodrigues, Yastika Bhatia (wk), Deepti Sharma, Sneh Rana, Renuka Singh, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Meghna Singh