Fantasy Preview | South Africa vs West Indies | 1st ODI
Written By: Jeet Vachharajani
Picture Courtesy: Google Images
It’s the first of the four WODIs between the Proteas and the West Indies. It was just 4 months ago when South Africa had toured the Caribbean and emerged victorious with a 4-1 win. Their only loss came in the last WODI which went into the Super Over.
VENUE: Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg
Runs, runs, and runs. That’s the order of play at the Wanderers. Whenever there are WODIs in South Africa for the women’s team, they are all generally at venues other than the Wanderers. Hence, this will be something new for the tourists as well as the hosts.
Since it is a day-night game, there will be swing with the new ball in both the innings, especially the 2nd one. But, teams should be able to score more than 230 with ease.
The only thing stopping the two teams from scoring 250+ is the West Indies’ general approach in the WODIs, and for South Africa, it is the absence of Lizelle Lee and Dane van Niekerk.
HEAD-TO-HEAD (Last 5 games)
South Africa - 4 | West Indies - 1
South Africa: Laura Wolvaardt, Tazmin Brits, Sune Luus (C), Mignon du Preez, Chloe Tryon, Marizanne Kapp, Nadine de Klerk, Trisha Chetty (WK), Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Nonkululeko Mlaba
West Indies: Deandra Dottin, Rashada Williams. Chedean Nation, Stafanie Taylor (C), Hayley Matthews, Shemaine Campbelle (WK), Chinelle Henry, Aaliyah Alleyne, Shakera Selman, Shamilia Connell, Anisa Mohammed
- I expect the pacers to have more impact. Pick Marizanne Kapp, Shakera Selman, Chinelle Henry, & Ayabonga Khaka.
- Sune Luus will have a bigger role to play in the absence of Niekerk. This is not only with regards to leadership but also with bowling leg-breaks. She will be a good ‘C’ choice.
- Laura Wolvaardt should never be left out. She is always in an imperious touch.
- The Windies are very reliant with the bat and ball on Stafanie Taylor and Hayley Matthews.
- Back experience. Pick Mignon du Preez!
- Masabata Klaas bowls well, but wickets are always hard to come by for her.
- Chloe Tryon has had a downward spiral in form for a while now.
- The pacers in Aaliyah Alleyne & Shamilia Connell can prove really handy if West Indies are bowling first.
- Nadine de Klerk will fetch a very good all-round value if she plays.
- With a plethora of RHBs in the West Indies, Nonkululeko Mlaba will be a very good choice as an SLAO bowler.
Sune Luus, Stafanie Taylor, Hayley Matthews, Marizanne Kapp, Laura Wolvaardt